Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Trouble With Chemistry


Let's start off by giving this blog its proper introduction.  I am in my first term as a secondary biology education student at Western Governors University.  Having already passed one course, I found my old nemesis, chemistry, staring me down the barrel of the proverbial gun.  I am currently writing this as I take a break from my seemingly incessant studying of my least favorite subject in the entire world.  If I were Superman, chemistry would be my Kryptonite.  Every time I open up my online study guide, it feels like bashing my head repeatedly against a brick wall.  It never does anything to the wall, but I leave with nothing short of the world's worst headache.

I have already taken chemistry once, many moons ago (ok, like 4 years, but it seems like an eternity!)  With the changing of my degree requirements coming one short month before my term started, and the school having changed their 5-credit chemistry course into two 3-credit courses, my puny 5-credit Intro. to Chemistry class no longer held any clout.  And thus, I find myself loathing turning on the computer and taking pen in hand to muddle through the mind-numbingly mundane mud that is chemistry. 


The one bright, shining light at the end of my tunnel: my practice test is coming up on Saturday, if not soon!  Should I be able to pass this test with the required 76% and not the horrific 44% that I received the first time I took the test (blind, have you, as I had not even looked into the course subject matter yet), I will be able to finally test out of this blasted class!  I've continuously told my husband that I plan to hold a ceremonial sacrificial bonfire and offer up my class notes on a flower-strewn pyre to the demonic gods of chemistry, whatever their names be (I'm pretty sure they're the kinds you say three times in front of the mirror while you stand in the pitch black bathroom on Halloween).  I also plan to take my husband's shotgun--the one that knocks me on my butt and leaves my ribs black and blue for a week--and blow a couple of holes into my chemistry text book, then have it framed and hung at the front of my future classroom as a constant reminder of the coals I had to walk on and the deities I've cursed to get to where I finally want to be! 


No comments:

Post a Comment